Design School Level 2: Facilities Design is the third of four courses in the InfoComm Academy® Design School.
Three Easy Ways to Register
Contact an InfoComm International training counselor at 1.703.273.7200 or 1.800.659.7469, e-mail email@example.com, or register online today!
See when this and other courses are offered by viewing our Education Calendar.
Design School courses are valuable for anyone who works in or has the responsibility for the design of audiovisual facilities, including systems sales professionals, designers, engineers, senior designers, senior engineers, project managers and technology managers.
CTS Renewal Units
This course provides 24 renewal units (RUs) towards InfoComm certification renewal.
It is strongly recommended that students complete courses in the following sequence: either Essentials of the AV Industry Online or the AV from A-Z for Sales Professionals Online or have a general CTS designation, followed by Design School Online and Levels 1, 2 and 3.
Level 1 teaches how to pick the right components; Level 2 teaches how to put the components correctly in the space; and Level 3 teaches you to make sure everything works together.
There is no time allotted for instruction to fill gaps for students who attend the classroom course and who are not prepared by taking courses in sequence.
This course focuses on the environment, ergonomics and infrastructure of the presentation space.
• Identify the structural elements of a building and determine the proper mechanical attachment of audiovisual equipment to that infrastructure
• Define custom construction of the facility to incorporate audiovisual equipment
• Define the physical elements of the room and how they interact with sound energy, including: noise criteria; reverberation characteristics of an environment; absorption and reflection of the various elements within a space
• Determine how to place a sound reproduction/reinforcement system in that environment that provides proper acoustic gain
• How to use advanced audio systems design and technology to maximize potential acoustic gain
• Design appropriate lighting for a variety of AV environments including general illumination and presentation specific illumination
• Control and zoning of lighting systems in a variety of applications
• Quantify the amount of heat audiovisual equipment is introducing into a space and how to convey that information to an engineer or architect so they can design HVAC systems appropriately
• Recognize causes of HVAC noise and ways to mitigate them
• Design for ease of interface and interaction between the user and the audiovisual equipment and the environment
• How to determine the electrical power required for a system and quantify how to deliver that power to the components that comprise the system
• Communicate systems needs to the electrical engineer
• Determine how to provide a proper ground for an audiovisual system to avoid noise and interference from other equipment
• Design, specify and lay out conduit, floor boxes and electrical boxes
Design School Level 2, a classroom course, is three days long, eight hours per day, plus three hours of evening work. Students should be prepared to work in the evenings of the first two days of class when attending this course.
Design School Level 2:
Note: InfoComm members may apply EduBucks toward up to 50% of this course tuition when offered in Fairfax, Va.
Design School Overview
Design School Online
Design School Level 1: The Principles of Applied AV Design
Design School Level 2: Facilities Design
Design School Level 3: Systems Design